Reducing your carbon footprint is similar to any other type of business improvement. The Lean and Six Sigma skills apply directly to these initiatives, but there are some unique differences that can slow down individuals making the transition. If you are an experienced process improvement specialist, looking to work on environmental problems, you’ll find our site very useful for getting up to speed quickly on “Lean and Green”.
Below, we have a list of training classes, environmental topics, links to great resources, and excellent books
If you are an experienced in environmental issues, and would like some help using a systematic and data-driven approach to increase your chance of successfully reducing environmental “wastes”, then visit our main site at Biz-PI.com, or consider Lean and Six Sigma training through 6sigma.US (save 5% with coupon code “BPI”).
Not sure how to proceed? Contact us for help…
We currently offer training on the following topics
- Carbon Footprint (1 hour) – We teach participants how to fill out our Carbon Footprint booklet (coming soon), so they can calculate their own personal carbon footprint using their utility bills. Once they complete their own analysis and create an action plan, they will be able to work with their current employer to create a carbon footprint report and action plan for them. Good for beginners and experts!
- Lean and the Environment Overview (1 hour) – We teach participants how you can add an environmental focus directly into your existing Lean, Six Sigma or process improvement initiative, in order to avoid confusion with your co-workers and clients. We cover some key messages to communicate, along with some specific changes to existing Lean tools. Watch video
- Greening your Lean and Six Sigma Program – (2-8 hours) – Add the environmental wastes and “green” thinking into your existing process improvement. We will cover environmental basics and terminology such as the benefits of sustainability, carbon footprint, environmental W.A.S.T.E’s (Water, Air, Solids, Toxins, Energy) and details on what you need to know about each, Energy Go and See, Dumpster Dives, and numerous examples using lean and six sigma tools and approaches. This course is geared to existing Lean and Six Sigma experts who want to be able to effectively apply their skills to environmental issues. Watch video
- Solving Environmental Problems with Lean Six Sigma (1-2 days) – An overview course that introduces environmental metrics, how to prioritize opportunities, problem solving process, common and customized lean and six sigma tools, and social behavior techniques needed to make permanent changes. This course is ideal for those interested in solving environmental problems in their company or community. Check upcoming dates and learn more
- Lean Six Sigma for the Environment (4 days) – A program designed around the Lean Six Sigma Green Belt training program, utilizing environmental examples to teach concepts of variation, control charts, capability, gage studies, FMEA, probability distributions, designed experiments (DOE), statistical tests, and lean tools, utilizing Minitab statistical software. This class is geared towards those currently in an environmental engineering role or ES&H engineer/manager that do not have a strong background in Lean and Six Sigma, or would like a refresher.
- Dumpster Dive or Energy Go and See Event – Dumpster Dives (Waste Audits) take about one full day. Energy Go and See usually take 2 full days of our time, but 1 full time of your employee’s time. Training provided during event. (8 hours)
For more information about these classes, check the list of upcoming events, or please contact us
Can’t make it to a class, or want to get started right away?
Check out other information on our site…
- How can I help reduce my impact at home? office? school? corporation?
- What is an “Earth Consultant”?
- What are the green “wastes” that impact the planet?
- What are some examples of environmental case studies using a process improvement approach?
- Looking for data to support your company’s need for sustainability? Check out Sustainability Pays: Studies That Prove the Business Case for Sustainability
Check out these great online resources, while we finish working on our training!
- US Environmental Protection Agency (EPA)
- Lean, Energy and Climate Toolkit
- Lean and Environment Toolkit
- The Environmental Professional’s Guide to Lean & Six Sigma
- Lean and Chemicals Toolkit
- Lean and Water Toolkit
- Resource Guide to Effective Utility Management and Lean
- How to Plan and Implement Successful Lean Initiatives at Environment Agencies
- Lean Manufacturing and the Environment (with Case Studies)
- EPA Pollution Prevention Lean Kaizen event case studies
- Green Engineering
- Design for the Environment (DfE)
- EPA Statistical Analysis of Groundwater Monitoring Data at RCRA Facilities
- Economy, Energy and Environment (E3) Program
- EDF Climate Corps Handbook for Energy Reduction
- Carbon Trust – Degree Days for Energy Management
- Lean and Water Toolkit
- IBM “Green Sigma”
- Lean and Green Case Studies (State of Washington)
- GreenLean© – Enterprise Minnesota
- Zero Waste Network – Case Studies
- GE “Ecomagination”
- UTC Energy Management Guidebook
- Purdue/SME Green Manufacturing Workshops
- GM Landfill Free 9-Step Process
- Lean and Green Kaizen Model (Cardiff University)
- USGS Statistical Methods in Water Resources (free eBook)
- Industrial Assessment Centers (Rutgers) – Manuals for Energy Reduction
- White papers on various data logging benefits (Onset) (requires free registration)
- “R” environmental statistical software (free open source)
- Zero Defect Zero Effect (ZED) – India based rating system based on the principles of zero defects to your customers and zero effect on society
- GreenBiz.com – Creating a More Sustainable Company Through Employee Engagement
- Green Team Guide – City of Portland
Check out the list of Lean Six Sigma and the Environment books from Amazon. We recommend you read some of our book reviews >>>
Please contact us if you are interested in being notified when we add to this page. We are working on training material, documents, videos, case studies and more!
Learn more about the author of this website >>