Solid Waste Reduction: Dumpster Dive (Waste Sort) – Use this approach to look through your trash, and quantify how much of it is actually trash (landfill), and how much could be diverted.
2016 Boeing Dumpster Dive Video
University of Iowa Waste Audit Video – Kinnick Stadium
University of Iowa Waste Audit Video – Dormitory
Furniture Manufacturer Dumpster Dive Simulation
One of the biggest trends in solid waste reduction is the Zero Waste initiative. Companies and organizations are striving to divert over 90% or more of their waste from going into the landfill. Exact definitions and certifications may vary, but the concept drives the continual evaluation of
- Recycling 101 Online Course
- An online, self-paced course created in partnership by the Association of Oregon Recyclers and Oregon State University. Designed for everyday recyclers, community leaders and sustainability industry professionals, the course goes beyond what you think you know about recycling. Ideal for anyone from all over the world, not just those who live in Oregon.
- Paper reduction tools – Portland Metro
- Paper Calculator – The premier tool for measuring the environmental impacts of paper and discovering the best paper choices. Use it to quantify the impacts of your paper usage, and to compare different grades and types of paper with varying amounts of recycled content.
- Zero waste at public events: Seven tips to get started
- Aiming for Zero Waste at the Portland Airport
- The Urban Quest for ‘Zero’ Waste
- It’s waste not, want not at super green Subaru plant
- Buckeyes take out the trash at The Horseshoe
- Sherwin-Williams’ Purdy Site– Zero to Landfill
- TRUE (formerly US Zero Waste Business Council) part of Green Building Council
- National Zero Waste Council (Canada)
- Zero Waste International Alliance
- Zero Waste Network
- UL Environment Zero Waste Certification
Events and Conferences: