In this podcast, I interview Lisa Earls, who is the Senior Operational Improvement Consultant at the University of Michigan. She spent almost 5 years at the University of North Dakota before taking this new role in 2019. We discuss how she is helping teach and coach staff at the University of Michigan on lean principles using Everyday Lean Ideas and Daily Huddles.
She discusses a 4-month coaching program where departments within the university system attend 4 hours of training per month, and receive coaching and work on homework between sessions. They cover the following topics: metrics, huddle boards, leadership (gemba) walks, everyday lean ideas, and daily huddles.
You can watch the full video of the interview here…
- University of Michigan
- Lean in Higher Education (LHE) – The peer organization for higher education staff working to improve universities around the world, using lean or similar methodologies
- Network for Change and Continuous Improvement (NCCI) – NCCI positions higher education institutions to be agile, lifelong learning models to transform lives and communities around the world
- Central Coast Lean – Eric Olsen is a leader in this organization and works at Cal Poly. A great person to connect with.
- Contact information for Lisa Earls
- Read full show notes | Subscribe or rate this podcast
- FREE online course called “Lean Six Sigma and the Environment”
- OpEx Six Sigma Online Training and Certification
- Creative Safety Supply – Free 5S Guide
Have you ordered the new book, “Lean Six Sigma for Good: Lessons from the Gemba (Volume 1)?” The book is made up of 8 chapters written about experiences from Lean and Six Sigma practitioners, to give you tips and tricks to help you work with nonprofits in your area. All proceeds donated to charity. We are also close to releasing Volume 2, so check back for the latest news.